Make Your Own: Antidandruff Herbal Shampoo


As a hair stylist, my Dad has always grumbled about the promises made on anti-dandruff shampoo advertisements. His best friend, a trichologist (hair scientist) also agrees that using anti-dandruff shampoo is a viscous cycle that will lead to you buying hundreds of bottles of the stuff in your life time.
Now, I’m not going to pretend that I understand the science because I don’t but I trust their judgement! I suppose it makes sense – Using harsh shampoo chemicals on your sensitive scalp every time you wash your hair will keep your poor head sensitive long term – even if you do get a few days relief. Maybe a long term approach to scalp health could alleviate the problem.
If you are interested in trying a natural herbal solution then this recipe might be of use to you. The shampoo contains eucalyptus and tea tree which both have microbial properties that control fungus. They help to clean the scalp and facilitate healing.
A note on packaging – I always keep an eye out for pretty or usual bottles and jars so that I can make a batch for friends and family. I usually store my own in pretty containers, it feels more luxurious.

Ingredients
  • 50ml Water
  • 8 drops tea tree essential oil
  • 12 drops lavender essential oil
  • 12 drops eucalyptus essential oil
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • 50ml mild natural shampoo (I bought an organic version on ebay – or try your local health shop)
Mix the apple cider vinegar with the essential oils. Shake well to disperse. Add the natural shampoo and the water and shake once more.
I hope that this was helpful!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search