Top Nutritional Scientists Are Changing The Way They Eat

Researchers Sheldon Reiser said: What I have learned from my research primarily is that genetics most control of how food component produces a metabolic effect in our bodies. I would say that environmental factors, such as diet, contribute only 25 to 30% to your ultimate disease susceptibility. But feel that anything I can do to prevent disease, including making changes in this 25 to 30% is to my benefit.
If you cholesterol levels are high, you have to look at the saturated fat and cholesterol in your diet.
From my metabolic profile, I can see that I would be more sensitive to the effect of saturated fat and cholesterol than sugar. So I am very careful about my fat intake. The main source of protein in my diet is usually poultry or fish. I also rely on low-fat cottage cheese and polyunsaturated cooking oils.
I am very aware of the fact that cruciferous vegetable are good for you. Of all of the anticancer foods, they seem to be the ones that are thought of most highly as possible preventives of bowel cancer.
Researcher Rivta Butrum said: We promote lowering fat intake and increasing fiber intake to help prevent cancer. And I practice what I preach. But reducing the risk of cancer is not the only reason I’ve changed my diet. A low-fat diet lowers the risk of heart disease as well. And there’s heart disease in my family. So I am hoping that my diet will be protective overall.
I follow our own guidelines to reduce the fat in my diet: using low-fat milk products, buying leaner cuts of meat and trimming the fat, using cooking methods that do not add fat, such as broiling, stewing and baking, and using less oil-I use only the salad dressing I used to.
Expert F. Holick said: There are several principles that I use to structure my own diet and that of my family from all the scientific literature I have read, it seems that for certain individuals there is a clear association between salt intake and hypertension. So we have a no-added-salt diet. We do not exclude foods that contain salt, but we do not add salt to our food.
I think the data on fish oil look encouraging. It appears to me that a high-fish diet may be one of the reasons that Eskimos have a low incidence of cardiovascular diseases. The research has not affected my diet, however. I already follow a low-fat diet, and I know that my cholesterol level is not high, so I do not think I need to eat any more fish.
Expert George A. Bray said: The only thing I really make an effort to do through diet is keep my weight stable, because the evidence suggests that being overweight is hazardous to your health. Obesity has been linked to heart disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes and gallbladder disease.
So I weigh myself regularly. If I find I have gained a couple of pounds, I eat less but remain active. My action relates to the entire stream of research that suggests that you get fat largely by taking in more energy than you expend.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search