FRESH WATERMELON JELLO + SEA SALT


Make your own watermelon jello
I guess I'm into jello now. After making these mojito jello shots I just keep thinking of my jello related ideas I want to try. I decided to try watermelon jello next. I found these fairly small seedless watermelons at Target last week and thought they might make the perfect vessels.

Vessels for my jello creations. (Insert mad scientist cackle here.)


Seedless watermelon

I have a feeling seedless watermelon means underdeveloped. Or maybe it's a variety. I could totally be wrong about that. But whatever the case, if you do decide to try and make these at home, I highly recommend trying to find the smallest watermelons you can, because the jello will set better.
Fresh watermelon jello
Fresh Watermelon Jello + Sea Salt, makes 4 large wedges.
3 cups fresh watermelon juice
2 cups water*
1/2 cup sugar
4 packets unflavored gelatin
coarse grain sea salt 

Start by cutting the watermelon in half and scooping out the fruit. Blend the fruit and strain through a fine mesh sieve, discarding the pulp. My watermelon made about 3 cups juice, if yours makes a little more or less don't sweat it.
In a pot combine the water and sugar and stir to dissolve while cooking over medium heat. Remove from heat and whisk in the watermelon juice and unflavored gelatin. Pour into your hollow watermelon halves and refrigerate for 4+ hours.
*If you'd like to make this jello recipe more adult substitute 1 cup of the water with either white rum or vodka.
Once the jello has set, place the watermelon halves on a cutting board with the jello side facing up. Cut in half. I tried flipping one of these over so the rind side was up to cut it in half and jello fell out, because it's so heavy. So don't do that. Even though it's kind of funny. :)
Sprinkle with a little coarse sea salt and serve! Each wedge can easily serve two people so these could be fun for a party with a bunch of couples, or for kids.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search